First I did the line drawing, and then inked all the darkest values of the painting. After, I used a dark (but not black) wash to add the next-darkest values. I also quickly painted in a base-layer for the eye.
Here I (finally) finished the barring on the head feathers, and added the dark shadow on the eye:
Using two or three lighter mixes, I finished the value pattern and adjusted the local colors a little. I added a messy, wet color into the background.
Switching to acrylic paint, I brushed over a very thin layer of a light, warm brown to get the local color of the bird better. I also painted this over the background, neutralizing it quite a bit, and for the better. Then I sprayed it with a workable fixative, and went to town with colored pencils: adding texture, tweaking color, and smoothing out values where it was needed.